https://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/p/iwsg-sign-up.html

Yikes. I fight against AI, largely because they are trying to build one of those data centers across the street from my home, in a residential neighborhood, and it seems like a bad and dangerous idea. Seriously, this neighborhood has enough problems!
But I have done ghostwriting work for years. And the profession would vanish if they had to disclose.
I have to pay for the electricity to keep those damn AI centers powered, and now I'm supposed to have one less employment opportunity? They have taken enough! The air, the water, the farmland, narrowing the job market... now because AI writes like crap, human ghostwriters should perhaps suffer more?
NO. My answer to the October 7 question as to whether authors who use ghosts should need to disclose it the same as those who use AI ought to disclose is a hard no.
*or "super intelligence" if you like Lake America and the Gulf of America and whatever else is renamed.
Unless you go with horror sci-fi, which predicts that the AI will realize that humans are inferior and worthless to it, and destroy or enslave us all.
But how could AI have such an idea? What, is it going to read a history book and find out that when slaves rise up and overthrow masters, they have the opportunity for a better existence? π€
Yeah, probably no reason to worry. CinderAIella will be happy slaving away and definitely won't sneak out to a "ball," hook up with a "prince," and end up ruling everyone.
https://www.mepacon.com/ This is the organization I volunteer with.
Convention 51 is next month. πΎπ²π If you like games, check it out.
https://www.facebook.com/MEPACON I create crossword puzzles as part of my volunteer duties. I'd really appreciate a like or heart or something. https://www.instagram.com/mepacon_games/ ππ
Bugonia -- Has anyone else seen this movie??
π
Okay, you know how normally storytelling is introduction, rising action, climax, resolution?
ππ
Well, this is introduction, falling, falling, wtf, what the actual f, π³, π€¨, and just when you're about sure that this has been a serious waste of your time... BAM climax, sci-fi (cheesy, omg 1960s backyard cheesy sci-fi), and an ending ππ cats and dogs get to enjoy.
(And Bender the robot from Futurama, he'd love the ending.)
It redeems itself in the last ten minutes.
But if you didn't sit through the whole thing, the end wouldn't make sense.
Like life, sometimes we have to put up with π© the crap to be rewarded with π§ desserts.



It's cool that you've been able to be a ghostwriter and that it's helped you pay your bills. I also have a job as a ghostwriter, but not as a fiction writer. I write articles for lawyer clients for their website. Our company also writes e-books for them in their practice areas. There is definitely no expectation that our ghostwriting gets credit. Though maybe it should be different for celebrities.
ReplyDeleteMaybe earning potential matters π€?
DeleteThey really ought to stop cutting costs by building on existing infrastructure and just go out in the desert and build there with a closed-loop cooling system (like we use in South Africa with our water scarcity), and a whole solar farm to power them... Sigh. I hope you won't have to sit with the constant noise and pollution.
ReplyDeleteRonel the Mythmaker
They sorta did. But it emptied the water needed for the Hoover Dam. So now they created a whole secondary set of problems, destroyed a river, and drained a lake. Solar and Wind terrify our current leader, who believes in coal and oil and, well, MONEY. They have better cooling methods, but not cheaper.
DeleteHalf shocked there isn’t a "wall" of data centers along the border, draining the Rio Grande. Oh, that's probably on the schedule for January.
Lots of nice thoughts there... and I agree with Natalie and Ronel.!
ReplyDeleteThanks
DeleteAnonymously Esther O'Neill. East of the Sun., no signal, As I said responding to another blog, doing work for lawyers, well, a lawyer, didn't work for me.
ReplyDeleteWhy would automatic acknowledgement of a ghostwriter be a problem ?
In our (very old) house, I didn't transform the old cow house into a great downstaiirs bathroom Don't have any of those skills, but I reviewed , named and recommended the man who did, -
Some people pay to pretend they accomplished something.
DeleteI didn't know you were a ghostwriter!
ReplyDeleteNot seen Bugonia but now I am intrigued.
There was an excellent breakdown of the difference between ghostwriters and AI in another blog today. He made good points. He was pro ghostwriters and anti AI.
ReplyDeleteI don't really fear AI. I more fear the crazy ideas from the left that wants to control us. My electric bills are going sky high and I don't think it's anything to do with data centers. It's the greed here in California and the nonsensical regulations. It's been really hot here lately and my electric bills have soared!
ReplyDeleteLee
Oh, and I usually buy a bag of candy corn every year. So far not this year, but I might if I see it in the store. A lot of old time candies seem to be harder to find especially since COVID.
DeleteLee
I've also got a data center opening up, but it's just outside the neighborhood. We protested, went to council meetings, wrote letters to the city council, etc. None of it mattered. Our council's way too greedy.
ReplyDeleteYou're the second ghostwriter I've seen weigh in this week on IWSG. I think it's valuable to hear from the people actually doing it, so thanks!