Monday, July 24, 2017

Facebook Let Me Down

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-manipulate-facebook-algorithm-maximise-your-social-colin-oliver

I looked up "how to manipulate the Facebook algorithm."

"Why?" you might ask. I mean, who really cares?

Normally, I don't that much. But the current newsfeed, which shows plenty of ads for Groot shirts, unicorn art, and cat humor... didn't show me that my nephew was being born.

Seven posts about the baby being born, none of them on my homepage feed. Had my sister-in-law not texted, I still might not know.

If social media is supposed to better connect us, to keep us better informed of what's going on in our world  (especially the world of our social circle), how did a major life event -- the birth of a baby -- not make the top of the newsfeed list? That's really upsetting. I'd like to avoid missing such important information.

What I see here is a flaw in Facebook's system. If I list someone as family,  shouldn't that trigger words like "birth, engagement, graduation," etc as an update I'd want to see?

I'm not sure how to change this, or if anything can be done. I just wanted to go on record as being frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a unique or fun message here: