Wednesday, October 16, 2019

#WEP #WEPFF Horrible Harvest Flash Fiction


My offering for this prompt comes in the form of a correspondence written in a (possible) future. 500 words. Full critique acceptable. The first two paragraphs are based on a true event (except it wasn't oranges, her real name isn't Maria, and I don't know if she has a cousin named Angel in Ecuador). 

{Content Warning - Immigration in America, dystopian realism, environmental concerns}



Dear Angel,

I was born to nothing, as you know. An immigrant daughter of migrant workers in an orange grove in 2018 was as nothing as one could be. Perhaps harvesting fruit wasn't so horrible, once upon a time. But the grove gave no place to hide. Both my parents and three eldest siblings were deported when I was eleven. My younger sister and I landed in a border detention center not long after. Not sure if you knew that. She died in my arms.

I didn't know it then, but it was from infection. The sores on her body weren't treated. Sitting in her own filth for days made it worse. I remember telling the guards she was hot. They told me it was because I kept holding her, that my body heat was making her that way. They didn't care.

They do now. As you said in your correspondence, you know I'm a lawyer. Actually, I'm a senior partner at the most renowned law firm in the country when it comes to prosecuting those who ran those centers. We've won against every level in the chain of command, from the janitors who didn't meet required standards to the monster at the top who allowed the centers to exist. I had orange stripes painted on our third branch office, to represent the grove where my parents once worked.

No amount of money can replace my sister. Or the years lost with my family. I still wake up screaming in the night, fighting off the rapist guards who took me against my will. I'll never marry. Sleeping beside someone, much less marital intimacy, isn't something I can bear.

Instead, I've adopted wildlife. The lands and animals are my children, my legacy. I bought an area that was once a national park, back when such things existed. It would have been mined, drilled, or fracked by those who refuse to let go of the ways of the Industrial revolution. It's protected now, for the next five hundred years at least. I even have a provision to make it a country on to itself, should the States, Union, and New Confederacy break apart even further.

I invite you to visit, dear cousin. I realize you're busy running Ecuador and preparing for your journey, but I do hope you'll be able to make the trip here first. Neither of us has much family left. No one does these days with the shrinking population. But I wish for you to understand why I won't be among the ones on the last space ship to depart. I know all the reasons to leave, and that those who can afford it go. And I know how many have sold themselves into slavery to get onto the ships. I thank you for offering to spare me from such a fate.

But I will stay here. There are still people to help. And if the heat, droughts, storms, or radiation gets me, so be it.

All my love-

Maria




*************************************

Thanks for reading!

Update from previous post:
Still no word on when I'll get the furniture I paid for in September.
https://uniquelymaladjustedbutfun.blogspot.com/2019/10/mealeys-furniture-delivery-scam.html
I have started a letter-writing campaign. Much harder to ignore actual mail, I hope!
If you're willing and able to help, please print and mail this letter: https://docs.google.com/document/
If you'd like to edit it:

18 comments:

  1. Powerful and hard hitting. The earth harvested and raped till it has nothing left to give, and restoring it a therapy for her own healing from her traumatic past. Eloquently expressed. The epistolary form worked really well. A great take on the prompt.

    My only suggestion is - please reconsider the statement: 'As you said in your correspondence, you know I'm a lawyer.' It felt somewhat unconvincing as something Maria would write to her cousin.

    Thank you for your participation at WEP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I can only say Wow. The gut wrenching fact that parts of the story are true speaks out about man's inhumanity to man.
    Very engaging.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful! We are destroying our world without any regard to the consequences of our actions.
    Maria has taken a horrific past and worked hard to make the world a better place. We need lots and lots of Marias!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dystopia, harsh and unforgiving. I hope I don't live long enough to witness such a world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear that we are a long way down this path already. We NEED Maria. And lots of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A powerful piece. I hope there comes a day when such cruelty ceases to exist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another frightening dystopian entry that's all too real- a little too close to home.
    Thank goodness for Maria.
    Powerful.
    Thank you for sharing this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is powerful and timely indeed. Horrific things are happening in our world today, far more frightening than most fictional horror tales, and things will only get worse if we don't do something to address it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very powerful, dystopian but moving. I really enjoyed reading your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With your description of 'those camps' I can understand why she won't take up the offer of leaving on a spaceship where she might lose any control she has over her life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well written and all too realistic. Well, maybe not the spaceship part. ;-) However, the description of the current concentration camps--which is what they are--is absolutely real.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would rather stay too after experiencing all she had. So many corporations don't want to give up the old ways, a sign of things to come. Not sure where spaceships would take us though, as humans would just screw that up too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in awe of how you hit the buttons on so many hot topics. Wow! Well written. Riveting. Thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jamie, I held my breath all the way through this. What a story in so few words! And the way it encapsulates real world events just makes it so much more powerful. I wonder at the fate of those children in detention centres. The media lost interest. Last I heard several couldn't be reunited with their parents. A chilling critique of our society the world over. The powerless made more powerless every day, every policy, every mad politician's rambling vitriol. So thankful for the Marias of the world who have experienced first hand this suffering and are doing something about it.
    Thanks for a story that speaks loudly to us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So topical - and I hope not prophetic. But we are running out of time while the politicians and decision-makers fiddle - and attempt to silence those that care. Will the right people listen or just plan their own escape?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jamie - really well written ... and I love the way you extrapolated our present times into what I hope is a dystopian future ... it's not a good looking future - but I sure hope your ideas don't come to fruition ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on being short-listed with this very, very frightening piece.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A huge congratulations for being short-listed on the WEP October Challenge.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: