Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Are Emojis Vital in Text 🤔😮

🤔

Now I wonder if tone plays a part. (Which, of course, tone is removed online.) 

For example, if I said 

"I'm miskmusha!" 

Online, you'd maybe look it up and realize it's not a word and then try to figure out my typo. And even Google is like "I got nothing." So you could click like or care and move on. Or ask what it means- maybe it's a fandom. 


But if we're in person, and I cry 😫 "I'm miskmusha!" 

Is the initial response just, "no you're not, <words of comfort>"? Even though you still have no idea what the word means, but you know I'm upset. 

Whereas if I'm all, 

😁🎉 "I'm miskmusha!" 

You might just give me a 🖐 high five and reply, "yeah you are!" Again, even though you have no idea what the word means. 


So basically, does this explain the popularity and perhaps even NECESSITY of mixing emojis with text in online conversations? Because typed words lack tone. 

"😁 I'm fat! 🎉💯💯💯❗✔🕺💗"

"😭 I'm fat! 😫☠💔"

With emojis there is now a base tone. The reader knows if the poster is looking for applause 👏 and celebration (...and is perhaps willing to even fight trolls), or if the poster desires comfort and maybe someone to offer help "I'll hit the gym with you." That sort of thing. 


🤔 This feels like it could be a great philosophical essay. 🧠



*Inspiration source:

Meme share from screenshot 

Twitter @showupforthis 5/28/18 8:43pm (plus two replies 2 hours later)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a unique or fun message here: