Wednesday, October 2, 2024

IWSG Ghost Stories

https://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/p/iwsg-sign-up.html


I love the horror genre. But ghost stories, pretty much any horror, doesn't send chills up my spine. I lived through some 💩 in childhood. 

But I love the Child's Play movies. Chucky marathon was on USA Network one day in the early 90s. I was watching the movies. My younger brother came in the living room and plopped down beside me.

"Don't watch this. You'll have nightmares."
He just shrugged.
I tried again to make him go away. He didn't.
The commercial ended.
"Fine. But don't cry to mom later and blame me. I tried to warn you."

We watched the marathon together, laughing our butts off. And the next week? Yup, we watched the Nightmare on Elm Street marathon. And Friday the 13th. 

He didn't get nightmares from it.
I didn't get in trouble.
And, years later, as adults, we still go to horror movies together! Lifelong bond. 
We are those really terrible people in the movie theater who double over laughing every time someone jumps or screams or whatever. 
We saw Seed of Chucky like 3 times in a row. We laughed so hard at that movie, omg. 


So what does scare me?

This guy:
Sept  5, 2024 — Republican vice presidential nominee JD Vance says school shootings are a “fact of life" 
👻 Ghosts havs nothing in comparison. 


After I had a stroke, when I couldn't remember how to stand up. Literally could not recall how I did such a simple act, one I'd been doing successfully for over 40 years. When was the last time you THOUGHT about standing before just getting up? Unless you've dealt with a related health crisis, probably no thoughts about it since toddlerhood. (I don't mean just noticing time and that you should get going. I mean focusing on physically how the mechanics work.) 
Yeah, the first weeks were scary. 


Glancing at the bank account now that we're a "1/2 of one income" family. Applying for charity care and being told we're 300% above the federal poverty level. (Which we aren't. Even without percents. They're basing it on how we were doing two years ago, before everything went to 💩.) That's scary. I can't even deal with how scary our new budget is. There's absolutely no hope for the future and it is about to get so much worse. I can't even think about it at all. 

2 comments:

  1. My husband and daughter used to watch the Chucky movies. They were too creepy for me. I'm so very sorry for the financial crisis you're going through. I really hope you get the help you need until your family can get back on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, life is scarier than any Edgar Allan Poe story. Wishing you all the best for a happier future.
    I do now think much more about the mechanics of sitting and standing. A successful hip replacement five years ago gave me much freedom but now the aches of aging make me conscious of the movements so taken for granted during our youth.
    As for spooky storries, my all-time favs are the chicken skin tales of marching spirits and ghostly appearances in Hawaii.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: