Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Contessa #AtoZChallenge

My April 2024 A to Z Challenge blogging theme is to revise a YA novel I've been working on for almost a decade and then generate a new and better query letter to send in the hopes of traditional publication.
I want to publish that way because I believe it will give the book the best distribution, especially in libraries where underrepresented young people could borrow it. The target audience is teenagers who have an incarcerated family member, teens who are treated as outcasts for situations beyond their control, and Latinas preparing for their quinceañera.
Read more in my theme reveal post: https://uniquelymaladjustedbutfun.blogspot.com/2024/03/theme-reveal-2024-atozchallenge-and-wep.html
#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter C


Lenore has a roommate at the summer tv reality show. Muffin goes by the nickname Contessa.
There's tension almost immediately. 

Jamie's Lenore story excerpt

Feedback is needed! I'm revising, so please make suggestions if you have any. 💗


🖱https://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/p/iwsg-sign-up.html


I just joined this group today. I guess I was blogging back in the late 90s, but that was just rambles. Did MySpace count? I think I had a blog there.
Anyway. I married my husband in 2007. And I get along really well with his family. Even really extended members, like an adopted cousin. J Lenni Dorner. 
And he talked me into A to Z.
I'm also besties with Jayden, who does the forms and spreadsheets. 

Okay, so, Im getting insecure because this YA manuscript keeps getting rejected. Why can't someone be older before celebrating their 15th birthday? 
"Ashley Garcia: Genius in Love (previously known as The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia) is the latest show to be canceled by Netflix, with the series created by Mario Lopez coming to an end after 15 episodes." Yeah, I know they had her celebrate two birthdays at once on that show, her 15 and 16. But that was a cheesy tv copout. (And on a show with decent writing otherwise!) 
But I believe there are 14yo latina readers. And younger!
I believe there is an audience. 
Hopefully this month will help me polish enough to find it.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your YA novel. If it makes you feel better it took me ten years to get my first book out to the world. That just makes the accomplishment all that more satisfying when you finally achieve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your continued submissions, overriding the repeated rejections. I gave up and indie-pubbed and am living happily ever after

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad J Lenni talked you into the Challenge - and obviously helped influence you to join the IWSG. Welcome - you are in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jamie! Welcome to the IWSG! It's a wonderful, encouraging group of writers. Good luck with your YA novel!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: