Saturday, March 13, 2021

Panhandling

A friend of mine is doing this 31 questions in March blogging writing challenge (https://marquessamatthews.com/2021/02/10/want-to-join-me-for-a-writing-challenge-alexandrafranzen/). I don't know if I'll manage to do the whole month. 


March 13 – How do you engage with panhandlers on the street?

I have a tough time with this question. 

When I lived in Philly, I'm pretty sure it was illegal to both panhandle and to give money to them from your car. But Philly Pretzel Company 🥨 changed things. They had them selling pre-bagged 4 for $1 soft pretzels at busy intersections. This was legal. And 🤤 you have no idea how good those pretzels are. They melt in your mouth. Lets say that I purchased some.


Fast forward to more recently, like 2 years ago. *pre-covid

There was one near the (basically defunct) mall by my house. I was going to the Starbucks in the parking lot area. I observed him, off and on, for about two hours while I sat there typing. So I used my "stars" and "free refill" to get a free muffin and coffee. (They give you a new cup, the word refill is misleading.) He thanked me and I saw him dive into the gift as I drove off. So I felt good.


But a month later, there's another guy on the intersection by the McD's 🍔. And I saw someone in the line ahead of me give him a bag of food. He waited a moment and then tossed it. I noticed he was wearing very expensive looking sneakers. I'm not saying he couldn't have gotten them from a charity, or didn't deserve nice shoes. But if you're throwing food and wearing nice shoes, are you begging because you need help, or have you just decided this is the "job" for you? It was peculiar and I drove past. A woman never knows if this will be the guy who plans to abduct her. 😕


But what bothered me the most was when I was 14 and in Washington DC, being honored for my poetry publications. My mom and I toured the city. There were SO MANY homeless vets! 💔 To my mind, that should not exist. Taxes should give them shelter forever. And health services. Forget that stupid wall-- build free homes for any veteran who wants one. No questions asked. You serve in the Army, Navy, Airforce, Coastguard, Marines, or National Guard-- free home along the border, no taxes, for as long as you want. And nearby VA stuff and stores. And a free bus or subway or whatever that runs 24/7. BUT I'M ONE OF THOSE BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS WHO BELIEVES IN SUPPORTING THE TROOPS. 

1 comment:

  1. It's so hard. :/ Sometimes they're people who really just need help, and sometimes they're ass holes.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: