Monday, April 5, 2021

D is for Decide #atozchallenge, #ShortStory

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter D


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 308 words 

D is for Decide

Madelyn returns, still chewing the rim of her cup. Her mom's perfume enters the room five seconds before her. We didn't need to breathe, it's fine.

"Which of these boys is Yohann?"

Okay, pretend you haven't seen Lance with me before. And don't say hi or anything. No, it's fine. Whatever.

"I am, Ma'am. Pleased to meet you." Yohann extends his hand.

"Hi," I mutter, not that I expect her to acknowledge me. Just the alleged bad influence who is your daughter's only real friend. 

"A letterman jacket? Oh, that's right. You play basketball."

"Yes, Ma'am, from December to March. And baseball in the spring, from March to May." Yohann sticks his hands in his jacket pockets. Better than extended and ignored, I suppose.

She adjusts her gold pendant. "I see. Plan to play sports your whole life?"

"No, Ma'am. I hope to go to college to study business. My dad works for Dun and Bradstreet. I had a summer job there. I think it's a good fit. Just one option, of course. I understand you manage a store?"

"That's right. Part of it means hiring people. Getting to know someone in a few minutes during an interview. Decide if they're a hard worker or a thief."

I watch as sweat forms on Yohann's brow. I look over at Madelyn, hoping to signal that she needs to cut this short. She's staring at the floor. Her lips are moving. It's hard to spot behind the cup, which she's clasping with both hands, but she's praying. Her parents aren't super religious, but Madelyn prays like eighty times a day. More if there's a test. 

"That must be difficult," Yohann pulls his hands out of his pockets.

"Haven't hired a thief yet."

Lance touches the small of my back. "Well, it was nice to meet you."






Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 


Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

10 comments:

  1. This is becoming very interesting. Great interview! I am following this A to Z.
    Mine is
    https://suestrifles.wordpress.com/2021/04/05/discipline-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Twitter does not kid around... O.O
    Neither does this mom.

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine Yohann's plight. Loved the post. Anusha B.A.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We didn't need to breathe, it's fine." That was classic tongue in cheek humour

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, although I got a little confused in the middle over who was talking (and who was after whom). I'm currently stuck on my story, realising that I've sort of precluded my main inciting event. Hey ho, must write myself out of it somehow - or just cut a few thousand words!
    Good luck with your A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting read with characters and real life substance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect answers for the mum too! :-)
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/05/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-d/

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like Yohann studied for this test!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sarcasm! Great characters.

    Stopping by from A to Z!
    - Jayden Vincente
    Erotic fiction author
    https://jrvincente.com/a-to-z-2021/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: