Tuesday, April 13, 2021

K is for Kissing #atozchallenge #ShortStory

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter K


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 495 words


K is for Kissing

Madelyn crosses her arms. "I wasn't there."

"Yeah, bummer," Yohann says. He rests his chin on the top of my head. "Do you think you'll always be this tiny?"

"Think you'll stay that tall if I break your kneecaps?" I duck and spin, then tickle attack Yohann's sides. He puts his hands up in surrender as he laughs.

"Just weird to talk about parties that not everyone could be at," Madelyn mutters. 

I'm pretty sure Yohann is laughing too hard to hear her. But I caught what she said. I stop my tickling and walk over to Madelyn to whisper. "Yeah, and if you can't get a civilized conversation going, your party next month is going to be me, you, and your parents. Again. You want that?"

"No," she says softly. "I don't know what to say to him."

"Anything nice would be a start."

"Maybe if we go to the bookstore we'll find something to talk about?"

I shrug. "Fine. We'll go when Lance gets back."

Madelyn goes to look at greeting cards. I head over to the health and beauty aisle to see if they have my shampoo. It's doubtful, but there's no harm in checking. 

"This is a disaster, isn't it?" Yohann asks as he joins me. 

"You're both just being weird." I set the necklace down.

"Weird?"

I nod as I pick up a bottle that looks like my shampoo, but the words are in another language. Chinese, Japanese, I don't know. "Yeah. She acts all high and mighty when she's nervous. And you get all rigid."

"No, I don't."

Sniffing the shampoo makes me gag. "Yohann, you're one of the most fun people I know. That whole side of your personality is hiding tonight. Neither of you is being yourselves. It's a real shame."

He frowns.

"She's nervous as hell. Don't forget that. You've been to home base many times. She's still waiting for handholding. Go get her that stupid iris. And don't say it's my idea."

"Nice ass!" 

Lance's hand lands on my butt. I turn to him and laugh. "You talking to me or him?"

"Why can't it be both?" He chuckles. His fingers sneak under the flannel tied around my waist and slip into my back pocket.

I clasp my hands behind his neck, pulling his lips down to mine. I want to wrap my legs around him. I want him to pick me up and put me against the wall. I resent our clothes, this public space, and every law that prevents more from happening right now. 

"Every time we find them, they're kissing." Madelyn taps my head with something. I break from Lance's lips to look up. It's the stem of the flower. 

"Yeah we are," Lance smiles.

"To be fair, this is the longest I've seen them keep all their clothing on." Yohann offers me a small bag. "Got you that necklace." 

I take it and say thanks. 





Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. (And possibly racist?) Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 

💰
Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28 💵

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

1 comment:

  1. Things are heating up!
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/13/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-k/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: