Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Q is for Quit #atozchallenge #ShortStory

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter Q


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 400 words


Q is for Quit

As soon as Lance is within view, I run toward him. He raises an eyebrow as he holds his arms open. I dive in, burying my face in his chest.

"Tighter," I say as my body quivers. I can't burst into tears in the Phar-mor. I chuck my bottle of shampoo at the nearest shelf.

"You all right, babe?" He runs his fingers up and down my spine as he holds me tight.

"I quit." Madelyn taps me on the shoulder. Nope. No one is home. Go away. I'll never be able to share the conversation with her. She'll just accuse me of trying to steal Yohann from her. 

Stupid, stupid, stupid. This double date was supposed to bring us closer. Our friendship has been having problems for a while now. I can't talk to her about any of my experiences with Lance because she gets angry at me for having a boyfriend when she hasn't. I really couldn't talk to her about what happened with Mike. 

One night. All because I was mad at Lance for being too friendly with a certain cheerleader after winning a game. He said it was nothing. Maybe it was nothing. But the flirtation happened in front of a large crowd. And the girl sitting in the stands to my left leaned over and said it looked like I had been replaced. 

Mike was at the game too, sitting on my right. I grabbed his hand and told him to take me home. He saw what was happening. He knew I was pissed. And maybe he took advantage of that vulnerability. Or maybe I took advantage of his promiscuity. In the moment, I wanted Lance to feel as hurt as I felt. To feel as replaceable. 

But in the morning, I regretted it. And I took my anger out on Mike for letting it happen. Which is why I screamed at him that I should have thrown myself at Yohann instead. I meant because Yohann would have calmed me down and talked me out of doing something I'd regret. 

Now I don't know if he would have been that kind of friend. But I do know that Mike has loose lips because he obviously told Yohann about the incident. 

I've ruined Madelyn's chances with Yohann. Why the hell did he agree to go on this date?





Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. (And possibly racist?) Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 

💰
Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28 💵

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a unique or fun message here: