Wednesday, April 21, 2021

R is for Video Rental #atozchallenge #ShortStory anniversary

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter R


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 205 words

R is for Video Rental


I hear Yohann come up behind me. "Anyone else hungry?"

Madelyn huffs. "We don't have time to eat much. It's already seven-thirty."

"Are we allowed at your house?" Lance asks her. 

"What do you mean?"

"There's a video rental here. And XQZ. We could order take-out and watch a movie at your place. Or drop you off and go to Mike's, if your parents won't let us stay."

Under Lance's jacket, my hands form fists. I want to hear Mike's name like a hole in the head right now.

"We could get noodles and watch Lady and the Tramp. Or a scary movie." I hear Yohann say. "I can cover your eyes at the scary parts."

Madelyn laughs. "I love horror movies. Eye covering won't be necessary." 

And then bombs drop and explode as Yohann's attempt at flirting blows up so badly that a giant crater will be all that's left of this mall. My body shakes as I try to repress a laugh. 

Lance strokes my hair. "What about you, babe? Take-out Chinese and a movie sound good?"

"Sounds like two additional hours in the only place I want to be."

He kisses the top of my head.







Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. (And possibly racist?) Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 

💰
Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28 💵

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

Today is my fourteenth wedding anniversary! 


 


Lyle, Kevin, Jesse, John, Jamie, Renee, Jamie, Liz

 

Bouquet battle with best friend Renee ❤

 

Wedding colors: Green, purple, dark blue, light blue



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!
    My post's title for today seems appropriate https://suestrifles.wordpress.com/2021/04/21/rejoice-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Yohann! And happy anniversary (ours in this Sunday!)
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/21/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-r/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, cute scene.

    Also, happy anniversary! <3

    Stopping by from A to Z!
    - Jayden Vincente
    Erotic fiction author
    https://jrvincente.com/a-to-z-2021/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: