Tuesday, April 27, 2021

W is for William #atozchallenge #ShortStory

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter W


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 270 words

W is for William

Since Lance is the only one of us who is seventeen, I hand my Phar-mor Video Rental card to him. He takes the copy of Outbreak to the video register. 

"Riley? Doubt it." I overhear the clerk say.

"Do you want to see my license?" Lance challenges.

"Dude, I don't actually care. Two-fifty."

"If you don't care, why bring it up?" I hear change hitting the counter.

"Because I know her. I'll call her later and tell her some guy in a jacket from your school was using her card to rent a movie."

I walk away from Yohann and Madelyn (not that Madelyn would notice, since she's busy staring adoringly at Yohann) and head to the register. 

"William? I didn't know you worked here." I smile.

"See? I told you I know her," William says to Lance, who shrugs.

"This is my cousin. William, this is Lance, my boyfriend."

He nods. "And that's why he's using your card. Because you can't rent an R movie."

"Yes. He's ruining my mind with a movie about a virus. My innocence is in peril."

William laughs, his big belly rolling like Santa's. "Says the least innocent girl I've ever met. Runaway before I tell him what you were like at my tenth birthday party."

"You wouldn't dare."

Minutes later, we head toward the Phar-mor checkouts and exit. The cashier doesn't say anything about our purchase of shampoo, condoms, microwave popcorn, and gum.

"Do you know half the employees at this mall?" Lance asks as he grabs the bag and takes my hand.

"Maybe. Eyes everywhere, I guess."

He laughs.






Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. (And possibly racist?) Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 

💰
Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28 💵

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

2 comments:

  1. The purchases should make for quite a date night!
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/27/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-w/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that she just knows everyone, but I want to hear about what she was like at his birthday party!

    Stopping by from A to Z!
    - Jayden Vincente
    Erotic fiction author
    https://jrvincente.com/a-to-z-2021/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: