Friday, April 16, 2021

N is for N is for Nathan #atozchallenge #ShortStory

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter N


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 550 words

N is for N is for Nathan


No rest for the wicked? Ha! I skip away from the now-chatting couple and curl up into Lance's lap.

"Maybe we should visit the sexual education section? Get her some books so you don't have to run off to demonstrate a handie."

I laugh. "You're terrible. Plus, I already showed her that."

"You did? With who? Where was I?"

I laugh harder. I see Yohann and Madelyn peer around the shelves at me. Nathan laughs in the distance. 

"We used a toy. What, do you think girls just ask for volunteer guys to practice stuff on?"

Lance pouts. "I mean, maybe. I'd sign up to let you practice stuff on me."

"Oh, really?" I nibble his lower lip. "Even if my friend is watching?"

His fingers weave into my hair. "I don't care. As long as I get to be with you."

We get lost in our perfect little world of being together. Everything is wonderful. Until there's a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey. I'm going to run to the ladies' room."

Lance breaks the kiss. "Nope. You're not going alone."

I raise my eyebrow. That was an odd thing for him to say to her.

"There was some freak selling crack or whatever. Right by the bathrooms. Neither of you is going over there alone. We'll all go."

I shake my head. "I'm not going where there's some drug dealer. Screw that. We'll go to the good restrooms in the Phar-Mor."

Lance's jaw drops. "There's a good bathroom? And you just let me go visit the junkie crack den?"

"You didn't ask. Besides, I've never seen anything like that before in this mall. The Phar-Mor is just cleaner and better lit. Didn't think you cared where you pissed." I get up and retrieve my book. We head toward the checkout. 

"Yohann? We're leaving." I spot him in the sports section. He brings his book over.

"This is pretty cool. It has some interviews with the older players."

At the checkout, I hand my book and punchcard to Nathan. 

"I knew you'd get this one," he says as he rings me up. Lance whips out his wallet and holds out money before the total comes up. I put my money back into my pocket as I kiss his cheek.

"Buying her a book. Smart guy. But not as smart as me." Nathan winks and throws a bookmark into the bag. He passes my punchcard back. 

"One more until your discount. Next." He takes Madelyn's book and her card. 

I look at Yohann. He's flipping through the book in his hands. Madelyn buys her romance novel. No swashbuckler swings in with a coin purse. A bit soon for that chivalry anyway. 

"Three punches to go before your discount. Next."

A moment later, Yohann realizes that he's next. He hands Nathan the book. 

"Do you have a punchcard?" 

"No. Can I use Riley's?"

"I appreciate it, but that's not how it works." I smile at Yohann. From the corner of my eye, I catch Madelyn's sneer. My card, not hers.

"Only one punch per customer a day. Do you want a card?" 

Yohann declines. 

Nathan rings the order up. Madelyn promises to pray for his health. I say goodbye and wish him well as we leave.






Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. (And possibly racist?) Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 

💰
Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28 💵

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

3 comments:

  1. Found you through the comments on the A-Z blog today. Woohoo!
    Really like this story and will now go back to your A to read more.

    I also learned a use for the IG QR code and practiced on your's. A little clunky compared to a normal QR, but more pleasant than dealing with IG search.

    I'm on my 6th year of A-Z, I really enjoy it.
    This year, I'm posting:
    A-Z Art work: https://www.anne-m-bray.com/blog
    and
    A-Z Shoes: https://repeatsamb.blogspot.com/search/label/A-Z%202021

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your theme! I have enough trouble with a story a week, so kudos for one a day! I am reading stories for A to Z - http://susanhaven.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: