Wednesday, April 14, 2021

L is for Love, Lies, and Lori #atozchallenge #ShortStory

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter L


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 550 words

L is for Love, Lies, and Lori 

"What, nothing for me?" Lance playfully knocks Yohann on the arm. 

"You saying my lips weren't enough?"

The three of us laugh. Madelyn sneers. I motion to the exit while saying I want to go to the bookshop. 

Lance puts his arm around me as we walk. His fingers untuck the back of my shirt and sneak under it. I bite my lip to hold back a moan. I remember when he ran an ice cube down my spine when we were in bed. I remember rolling over, laughing, trying to make the shiver stop. Then where the ice went next. I whimper.

"Maybe we should stop for drinks? Something with lots of ice," he says. He's having the same memory. I grab him and kiss him. 

"I love you."

"I love you, too." He kisses me softly and smiles. His green eyes have these tiny flecks of brown. I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed? If anyone has ever stared at him as I do? I run my fingers along his cheeks, feeling the laugh lines and stubble. 

"They're impossible," I hear Yohann say with a laugh. 

"Oh cool, class rings. I didn't know they sold these here." Madelyn must be referring to the earring kiosk. They mostly do piercing, but sometimes they have other jewelry too.

Lance runs his finger down the bridge of my nose. He boops the end and smiles. I shake my head and laugh. 

"What's your ring size?" Yohann asks Madelyn.

"Don't know."

"May I?" I hear the jingle of the metal ring sizer that's chained to the kiosk. Lance used it on me once. That's how I know the ring on my finger with our birthstones is a size 7. 

"Looks like eight and a half," I hear Yohann say. I turn toward them just in time to see him take her hand after putting down the sizer.

"Well, now I know. Thanks." She smiles and blushes. 

They walk toward us hand in hand. My heart skips a beat. Okay, now I'm glad we're double dating so I can be here to see this. 

"Ready?" Yohann asks.

"Yup." I smile and take Lance's hand. 

"See that? They managed to stay dressed for another ten minutes. Call Guinness, we could be in for a world record," Yohann jokes as he and Madelyn take the lead toward the bookshop.

"Haha," Lance says. 

I remember when Yohann wouldn't notice. When he was dating that evil witch, Lori. Back then, they were the ones ditching clothing five seconds after getting in the door. Or she was. I don't want to think about the number of times I saw her tits. Or even the handful of times I ran into her stark naked. She'd casually stroll from Mike's guest bedroom to the kitchen, stand at the fridge drinking orange juice from the carton, and then saunter back into bed with Yohann. I asked Mike if it bothered him. But no, of course he didn't mind some girl walking around his place nude. Hell, he told me to feel free to do the same any time I like. 

I did, once. But Mike and I were the only ones there. That was a dark time. I don't want to remember it. 






Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. (And possibly racist?) Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 

💰
Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28 💵

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

4 comments:

  1. Ooh. So what happened with Mike? Or will we not know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is going to come up... but not for a few letters...

      Delete
  2. Hard work writing flash fiction every day - I know, I've done it in the past! Keep up the good work and thanks for visiting my Guest post today.

    Jemima Pett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you narrate .... the reader being able to picture it effectively in his mind is the sign of effective writing .... and there it ends with a suspense......

    https://pagesfromjayashree.blogspot.com/2021/04/l-for-library.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: