Monday, April 19, 2021

P is for Phar-Mor #atozchallenge #ShortStory and Pinterest

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter P


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 445 words

P is for Phar-Mor 



I point the shampoo bottle at Yohann. "I was yelling at Mike. Just because of one stupid night… Does Lance know?"


Yohann shrugs. "You told Mike that you wish you hooked up with me instead of him. Is that why you're trying to set me up with Madelyn? So I'm less available?"


No. No, no, no. Dammit! "Yohann, don't do this."


"You've broken up with Lance a dozen times. Every time, you still called me, still hung out with me. I thought it was to keep tabs on him. Were you really waiting for me to be single too? All this time?"


I pinch the bridge of my nose. "What I yelled at Mike has nothing to do with you. It's not what you think."


He pulls my hand from my face. "For you, I'll always be available."


"Shit. This is not how this conversation is meant to go." I hug my shampoo.


"No?" He runs his fingers through my hair. "What did you want to talk to me about without the two of them?"


I pull away from him. Tears well up in my eyes and my voice cracks. "Kissing Madelyn."


He crosses his arms.


"I wanted to find out if you were going to."


"Do you really want me to kiss her?"


I rub my eyes. "Yes. Maybe."


He presses his forehead against mine. "Maybe?"


I pull back. "Because I don't want her to use you. Which isn't the same as what you're implying. Shit."


He shakes his head. "Yeah. She'd be the one using me. Right."


I slug his arm. He doesn't even flinch. My hand, however, pulsates with pain. 


"Dammit, Yohann! I can't believe you're saying this. You're ruining this aisle of Phar-Mor."


"How's that?" The leather sleeves creak as he crosses his arms.


"Because now every time I'm in this aisle, I'm going to remember that my boyfriend's best friend just hit on me while being on a date with my best friend."


"Yeah, just refer to me as his friend again. You can't even call me your friend here when it's only us."


I close my eyes. "How am I supposed to call you my friend when you're doing this right now?"


He touches my face. "Fine. I won't bring it up again. Just know you have options."


"I don't want options. I want Madelyn to be happy."


"So I can make you happy by giving her what she wants?"


"Yes. No. I don't know. Why is this so complicated? Do you like her?"


"I think I've been pretty clear about who I like."


I throw my arms up in defeat and storm off.






Love triange
(pinned on my "Interesting" board)



Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. (And possibly racist?) Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 

💰
Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28 💵

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

5 comments:

  1. Very clever graphic and I love this...A love triangle is a corner and the woman is usually backed into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real question: will there be more to come? People are funny creatures.
    Cheers,
    Crackerberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. The story lasts all month. And this isn't even the biggest twist!

      Delete
  3. I do not like the way Yohann pushed himself at her. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To taste sweet, sweet revenge on this fictional character, please enjoy the posts on letters Y and Z.

      Delete

Leave a unique or fun message here: