Thursday, April 8, 2021

G is for Going to the Grand Mall East #atozchallenge, #ShortStory

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter G


My theme for 2021 is a Young Adult short story. A double-date in the 1990s. An established teen couple sets up their best friends with each other, but it doesn't go well.


Today's word count is approximately: 536 words

G is for Going to the Grand Mall East


We hurry out the door before she can change her mind. Perhaps a little too fast, as we nearly collide with Madelyn's dad.

"Car is all polished. Yup. I notice every detail. Take excellent care of what I love." Madelyn's dad pulls his yellow towel tight between his hands, making a snapping sound. 

Yohann gulps and nods at the veiled warning. "Yes, sir."

He gestures for us to be on our way. Yohann reaches the car first and opens the driver's side rear door, holding it for Madelyn. She gets in, but slides over behind the passenger seat. I shake my head as I settle into my place in the front. The Cranberries song, Linger, comes on as Yohann struggles to squeeze in behind Lance. I consider offering to trade spots, but we're already down the block.

"Madelyn, got your seatbelt on back there?" Lance asks with a laugh.

"Safety isn't funny," she huffs.

"Your mom is the reason I avoid parents." He reaches over and squeezes my thigh. Lance and I have been together, off and on, for two years now. He's officially had a longer conversation with Madelyn's mom than with anyone in my family. 

We pull into the parking lot and roll into a spot near the front. Even on a Friday night, this mall is mostly abandoned. A yellow leaf blows into my hair as I get out. It's not even October and already the leaves are changing.

Madelyn is still sitting. I guess she's waiting for Yohann to hold her door. Looking over, I see him struggling to get out without falling. I yank Madelyn's door open and lean in.

"Next time, let the tall person sit behind me."

"But I slid over so he could get in," she pouts.

"Out," I mutter before stepping away. I adore her, I do, but she has an inconsiderate streak. 

Lance wraps his arms around me from behind. "Everything okay?"

I lean into him. "It is now."

Our lips find each other and the world melts away. No autumn breeze reminding me that summer ended. No desolate parking lot in the least exciting spot around town. No friends awkwardly trying to date. Just us, the sweet taste of his mouth, the warmth of his arms. My happy place.

"So, umm, are we going inside or what?" Madelyn kicks my ankle just hard enough to steal my attention. 

I break the kiss and look for Yohann. He's leaning against the bumper, his hands buried in his jacket pockets. Normally he would have gone ahead, knowing Lance and I would catch up. But, of course, the four of us have an invisible tether tonight. 

"Yeah," I take Lance's hand and hear him whimper. Neither of us was done enjoying that moment. 

I lead the group into the Grand Mall East. Probably it was grand, once upon a time. But the major stores have left. Half of the other shops are empty. The most exciting event they hold here is Senior Sunday Stroll, where the elderly get together and walk around from noon to four. There are healthcare providers every 50 feet or something. My grandparents go occasionally.







Thank you for reading! 
If you're on mobile and can't see my sidebar:
My Twitter would be @PenMinion - but I'm suspended right now. I used a quote from a comedian to threaten my self-critical inner voices. I didn't know that voices in my head were protected by Twitter's TOS. But they are. And even though the comedian has a Twitter account, and the quoted joke is available as a gif on Twitter, it was still a violation of the TOS. (And possibly racist?) Feel free to scroll this blog to learn more. I have several posts about it. In the meantime, never threaten inner voices of self-doubt, because you can be kicked off of social media for such an action. 

💰
Get Stash, an app that makes investing easy. If you sign up with my link and add cash, we both get $20 of bonus stock. https://get.stash.com/jamieejv28 💵

Jamie.Writer on Instagram


Please let me know who you are on the Master List if you're doing a to z-- I'd like to visit you too!
Have a puuuurfect day. 🐈

3 comments:

  1. I love Madelyn's teenage take, probably it was grand, once upon a time. The story is shaping up so beautifully. Great going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story so far. Dating in the 90's - yeah, it was... interesting. Good luck!

    Here from A to Z. Visit me at http://theroadweveshared.com/blog where our theme is Down syndrome in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like one of the local malls I'm sure you're thinking of...

    Stopping by from A to Z!
    - Jayden Vincente
    Erotic fiction author
    https://jrvincente.com/a-to-z-2021/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a unique or fun message here: